We are looking for warm and friendly Welcome Stewards to join our incredible team. This is an outdoor role in all weathers. You will be the “first face” for all our visitors and therefore set the tone for their experience at The Lost Gardens, providing information on how to get the most of their experience, and in doing so making a positive difference to their day. Enthusiastic, supportive people with experience of working with the public would be very suited to this role.
Garden Experience Team
Head of Garden Experience
Fixed term Although the bulk of this role is seasonal, there are usually ad-hoc hours available throughout the Autumn and Winter. Contract from May-December.
Hours are variable, depending on the needs of the business and often the weather! During peak times this can be up to 30 hours per week.
Principal purpose of role:
- Supporting visitors with access needs
- Assisting visitors to find their way around the gardens.
- Presentation of visitor areas including look and feel, and litter picking where necessary.
- Helping visitors find the gardens hidden treasures relevant to their interests.
- Staffing our Jungle rope bridge during busy times
- Anything else that enables our visitors to get the most out of their day with us!
Area of responsibility/tasks:
- Provide a warm, friendly welcome and goodbye to all visitors to Heligan.
- During busy times, helping with the queues that may form for tickets and hospitality, ensuring visitor areas remain presentable, and being a point of contact for visitors to ask questions about what to see and do, and sometimes to help identify a plant! Do not worry – you will not be expected to know the answer – we have a team for that!
- Keep an eye on the car park and coach park when required, welcoming visitors, and helping them to relax and start enjoying their visit.
- Monitor the Burma Rope Bridge activity during busy times advising visitors on alternative routes and wait times.
- Assisting with other departments as and when required during busy times, as directed by line manager.
- To work with the Stewards and housekeeping teams to cover a seven-day week, including weekend days, holiday, and sickness cover, arranged by rota.
- Be fully aware of Health & Safety relating to The Gardens at all times and alert the Duty Manager to any issues immediately.
- Welcome all visitors and make sure that a high standard of presentation is maintained, raising any maintenance issues with the Duty Manager or Line Manager as appropriate.
Key Skills and Personal Qualities::
- Excellent customer focus.
- A good sense of humour.
- Confident in talking to all our visitors and providing feedback to managers.
- Teamwork within a small team, and willing to look beyond that team and spot areas where help may be needed.
- Be able to respond to incidents in a calm manner, escalating them where appropriate.
- Experience working in a customer facing role, ideally at a visitor attraction.
- An interest in the outdoors and gardening and a desire to learn about the History of Heligan to enable sharing this information with visitors.
In return you will be rewarded with:
- Staff benefit scheme including free family entry to Eden and Heligan during employment and discounts on local attractions and retail.
- Free Parking
- Sociable hours with no shift work
- Discounts on retail within the Gardens and any associated companies
- Discounted staff meals
How to apply
Please send your CV along with a short statement explaining why you would be great in this role to us at [email protected]