Skilled Gardener – Productive Gardens
We pride ourselves on our high standards. As a Gardener here you will carry out numerous gardening duties, requiring a minimum amount of supervision including –
- Soil cultivation: digging, forking, hoeing, mulching, watering, edging, raking, weeding
- Bed preparation and planting: weeding, planting, pruning, harvesting, watering
- Propagate a range of vegetables, flowers and herbs from seed under glass and in situ
- Any other horticultural tasks required to maintain the highest standards in the garden
- Engaging and enthusing our visitors of all ages and answering their questions
- The use and maintenance of hand tools and basic light machinery
Heligan Gardeners need to;
- Demonstrate previous knowledge and experience of productive gardening
- Be willing to work outside in all weathers
- Be able to use tools, including power tools
- Be physically fit for digging, lifting, carrying, etc
- Be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Be able to work flexibly, according to seasons and weather
- Be happy to talk to our visitors
- Be willing to help out in other departments and areas when needed
Qualities you will need to display:
For this position we are looking for people who have a genuine interest in growing heritage fruit, vegetables, flowers and herbs and in delivering this passion to our visitors. The successful candidate will:
- Be passionate about gardening.
- Enjoy working outside in all weathers.
- Be able to produce and maintain a consistently high quality finish in the garden.
- Be hard working and adaptable to change
- Have good communication skills
- Have a strong understanding of the importance of teamwork
In return you will be rewarded with:
- Staff benefit scheme including free family entry to Eden and Heligan during employment and discounts on local attractions and retail.
- Free Parking
- Sociable hours with no shift work
- Discounts on retail within the Gardens and any associated companies
- Discounted staff meals within our tea rooms.
Tuesday 30th November 2021
How to apply:
Please send your CV along with a personal statement (no more than 1 side of A4) explaining why you would be great for this position to [email protected]