Skilled Gardener – Productive Gardens
The Lost Gardens of Heligan are looking to recruit a Gardener to join their experienced and dedicated team in the Productive Kitchen Garden.
We pride ourselves on our high standards. As a Gardener here you will carry out numerous gardening duties, requiring a minimum amount of supervision including –
- soil cultivation, digging, forking, raking, mulching, and
- bed preparation, weeding, planting, watering, pruning, and harvesting.
- propagate a wide range of vegetables, flowers and herbs from seed under glass and in situ
- any other horticultural tasks required to maintain the highest standards in the garden
- engaging and enthusing our visitors of all ages and answering their questions
- the use and maintenance of hand tools and basic light machinery
Heligan Gardeners need to:-
- Demonstrate previous knowledge and experience of productive gardening
- be willing to work outside in all weathers
- be able to use tools, including power tools
- be physically fit for digging, lifting, carrying, etc
- be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- be able to work flexibly, according to seasons and weather
- be happy to talk to our visitors
- be willing to help out in other departments and areas when needed
Qualities you will need to display:
For this position we are looking for people who have a genuine interest in growing heritage fruit, vegetables, flowers and herbs and in delivering this passion to our visitors. The successful candidate will:
- be passionate about gardening.
- enjoy working outside in all weathers.
- be able to produce and maintain a consistently high quality finish in the garden.
- be hard working and adaptable to change
- have good communication skills
- have a strong understanding of the importance of team work
In return you will be rewarded with:
- Staff benefit scheme including free family entry to Eden and Heligan during employment and discounts on local attractions and retail.
- Sociable hours with no shift work
- Discounts on retail within the Gardens and any associated companies
- Discounted staff meals within our tea rooms.
Hours/Contract: Full Time/Permanent
Closing Date: 31st January 2024
How to apply
Please send your CV along with a personal statement (no more than 1 side of A4) explaining why you would be great in this role to: [email protected]